One of today’s most important challenges is the fight against climate change. How can internet of things help to this change?
That improvements in technology are responsible for reducing the cost of energy production is not only a fact, but also great news for the energy transition.
It is expected that technology and, above all, the IoT (Internet of things) will progressively assume a greater role in the evolution that will be experienced in the coming years, a key role for the multitude of challenges that remain to be solved.
One of the most important challenges today is the fight against climate change. As the years go by, environmental awareness is growing, and the urgency of efficient energy use is increasing. To find an answer and curb global warming, renewable energies must become the most widespread source of energy.
Technology in the energy transition
In this transition to an energy system based on renewable technologies, perhaps not enough consideration is being given to the role that technology can play in achieving these sustainability goals.
Digitalization and the evolution of technology are being presented as indispensable for this increase in efficiency: automation, smart grids, distribution in the management of electrical energy, greater efficiency… what is clear is that in recent years a great step forward has been taken to face a future that is increasingly connected and competitive.
These advances, led by the IoT, have become a key tool in the search for greater efficiency in renewable energies, supporting an increasingly complex energy infrastructure capable of increasing the efficiency of consumption, energy distribution and the facilities themselves.
The potential of IoT technology, indispensable
IoT technology has the potential, therefore, to contribute to the generation, distribution and transportation of energy, from its generation to its final consumption, gaining in sustainability at a lower cost.
The use of this technology contributes to the achievement of key performance optimization goals, such as predicting renewable energy production or detecting system errors instantaneously.
The reality is that global warming seems to be giving a serious warning to make a new energy commitment. We need a strong commitment from all industry participants to advocate and champion the adoption of renewable energy as the smartest approach for the present and future.
Therefore, the ‘Internet of Things’ is presented as an indispensable tool.
Some of the advantages provided by this technology to the energy sector:
- Optimization of decision making: Better use of data around decision making is another key factor of this technology. Automated and more efficient processes allow to focus on the most strategic part, thus improving the most optimal choice according to the needs.
- Anticipation of problems: Another of the solutions that this technology allows us to see problems in advance. With predictive maintenance, it is possible not only to reduce maintenance costs significantly, but also to avoid damages that cause system stiffness.
- A definitive boost for renewables: IoT opens the way to a new generation of energy. This technology allows cost reductions and increased commercialization, fundamental factors to achieve a definitive boost and development for renewable energies.
- Networks equipped with intelligence: Everything integrated in a network with different energy sources and storage systems, thus being able to use IoT technology to control and regulate the operation of the network, improving the knowledge of the assets, being able to identify how to smooth the load demand, without forgetting the optimization of the tasks, allowing to know the status of the same and the points to improve.
- Real-time information: Thanks to the use of IoT and other technologies such as big data, it is possible to obtain information in real time, providing all the necessary data in a transparent (and truthful) way to all participants, generating greater confidence and being able to identify the degree of efficiency.
A more reliable and efficient ecosystem
Beyond connectivity, this technology can become a guide for implementing digitization to make the ecosystem more reliable and efficient.
The future of IoT looks like a tool with incalculable and unlimited potential, which has and will have a huge impact on energy production. Renewable energies will become not only an alternative, but a reality capable of adapting, of resisting any setback, but, above all, much more sustainable and efficient.
In short, we will experience an increase in possibilities and a strengthening of consumer confidence, since the way of producing energy will be more sustainable and its consumption will be more optimized.
Would you like to start internet of things project? Contact Enkronos team today.