Whether or not your activity is related to the Internet, you have understood that being present on social networks represents an important issue for your company. Observe trends in your industry, present your products or services, build or save your e-reputation, and engage in conversation with your customers and prospects. You can do all this through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social networks, but are you sure you know how to optimize your presence on these networks and make your messages visible?
The first mistake companies make is often misusing hashtags (or worse, not using them at all). Follow our tips on how to choose them and use them to your advantage.
What is Hashtag?
The hashtag is the hash sign in front of a keyword (tag), so “hashtags” or “sharp swords” added to your social network postings make it easier for all interested users to access them, even outside your network.
Whether you’re looking for information on a topic or want to know more about those who are interested in it, simply click on the hyperlinked word or search for it in the search bar to access all the data.
At the beginning of 2015, the hashtag #JeSuisCharlie was able to federate international mobilization around the Parisian attacks, becoming one of the most popular hashtags on Twitter according to Philippe Guerrier. Launched on their pages by television channels or show promoters, the hashtags promote the viral communication of brands.
Launched on Twitter in 2007, the use of hashtags is today spreading to other social networks: Facebook since 2013, but also Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, etc.
How to use hashtags?
The 2012 Buddy Media study polled brands to find out about their engagement on Twitter. This study reveals that the use of hashtags generates twice as much engagement on the part of Internet users. The hashtags are generally placed in the message or at the end for better readability, but it is advised to use 2-3 maximums (beware of “spam”!), except on Instagram where a dozen is tolerated.
This implies selecting the most relevant and popular hashtags according to your objectives.
A few examples
- Company name + activity + location will introduce you to future local customers.
- A retweet or a link to your website + an “activity” hashtag introduces you as an expert; the same hashtag allows you to analyse customer expectations and observe the competition.
- Using the same hashtags on different networks expands your audience
- Monitoring what people say about your brand helps prevent crises.
When choosing your hashtag, it’s important to check the hashtag acceptance in the application’s search engine and look for popular hashtags on Hashtagify.me. Afterward, you will be able to check their evolution on Hashtags.org.
Using Twitter and hashtags for marketing purposes
Particularly transparent, powerful, and decompartmentalized, Twitter is adapted to the needs of companies. Since January 2014, the microblogging platform offers multiple search options in addition to those already offered by hashtags. Filters (per person, media, etc.), powerful search operators (including geolocation), and advanced search modules enable small and medium-sized businesses to use the data contained in the 500 million tweets exchanges every day for marketing purposes.
Here is an overview of hashtag publications in 2020 on Instagram
- #Love has been identified in 1,252,832,456 publications.
- #Instagood was identified in 728,131,008 publications.
- #Photooftheday was identified in 490,000,000 publications.
- #Fashion was identified in 475,992,147 papers.
- #Beautiful was identified in 456,547,737 publications.
- #Happy was identified in 424,414,355 publications.
- #Like4like was identified in 413,671,786 papers.
- #Picoftheday went down a little bit. The content identified with this hashtag is a total of 373,976,698.
- #Art has been identified in 334 million photos or videos.
- #Photography has been identified in 215,483,670 publications.
- #Music – 8%.
We can help with your digital marketing strategies and social media strategies with our experienced team. Contact us today.